Cookbook Available Here

Please visit the publishers site to buy copies of my first published book: Food, Fun, Family and Friends - proven menus, recipes, shopping lists and preparation timelines for entertaining at home

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bjjones

Video clip at:
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2593378.shtml?cat=11121

Friday, July 25, 2014

squash blossom time of year

I see what I can pick each morning from the garden and put them in a baggie in the refrigerator to fix with dinner that night.  Then I lightly rinse them and remove the center stamens.  I find that 18 large, or 36 small, blossoms are right for about 6 people.  Sometimes I stuff them with a soft cheese/herb/garlic mixture before coating and frying but sometimes I don't.  Sift 1.5 c. flour and 1 tsp. salt into a medium bowl.  Whisk in 2 c. water, 1 Tbs. olive oil, and a beaten egg.  Heat an inch of vegetable oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.  To your batter add 1 minced clove of garlic and 2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley.  Dip blossoms in the batter, coating them inside and out.  In batches, fry 1-3 minutes, turning frequently.  Drain on paper towels, sprinkle with salt and serve.  Sometimes I serve them on  a pool of garlic-chipotle salsa.


No comments:

Post a Comment