Cookbook Available Here

Please visit the publishers site to buy copies of my first published book: Food, Fun, Family and Friends - proven menus, recipes, shopping lists and preparation timelines for entertaining at home

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/bjjones

Video clip at:
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S2593378.shtml?cat=11121

Monday, September 5, 2011

tasty fruit tart

I love the versatility of one-crust, free form fruit tarts.  I can use pie crust dough or puff pastry for the base.  Depending on the fruit, and the season, I might put a cheesecake-type layer of cream cheese filling, or some almond filling.  I lightly sweeten the fruit, maybe add a thickener (cornstarch or tapioca), and mound the fruit in the middle while folding up the crust for an inch or two around.  Brush with egg white, sprinkle with sugar and bake until brown and bubbly.  Pie crusts I usually bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or so, puff pastry at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.  Berries and stone fruits will be cooked by the time the crust is done.  I find I need to slightly precook firmer fillings - such as apples or pears - for them to be cooked when the tart is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment